Festival Assistant (Volunteers)
Margate Film Festival is looking to welcome two new Festival Assistants to our small team, to support with the planning and coordination of our 2021 festival this October.
Moving into its 4th year, the festival is one of a kind in Kent and the only current film exhibitor in Margate. The festival celebrates Margate’s creative DIY culture, showcasing local and international independent film. The programme explores global issues, political zeitgeist, local and cultural history through shorts, features, live music, panel discussions and family events.
We are looking for ambitious individuals who are eager to gain a hands-on experience in the festival arena. You will assist the festival’s Creative Director, Marketing Officer and Film Programmer across a range of tasks over the initial planning, arrangements, set-up and running of the festival. We are offering 3 choices of specialism: Programming / Marketing & Press / Mixed (all areas).
Time: We ask volunteers to commit a minimum of 20 or 40 hours, though this is flexible per individual availability.
This is an voluntary role, but travel expenses to Margate (within 100 miles) will be covered during the festival dates.
Deadline: Rolling applications, open June – September 2021
Duties & Expertise:
We want you to gain experience in the areas of festival management that most interest you. We will cater your time to benefit you as best as possible, both in the type of work and in the time frames available. We have three options available:
- Programming & Pre-Selection: A focus on film viewing, selection and the curation of special events. You’ll oversee the pre-selectors, watch feature films, assist with sourcing license agreements and assets. Ideal for film/curation students and graduates. Suitable for remote working.
- Marketing & PR: A focus on audience outreach and online content. You’ll work with our Marketing Officer to collate social media & web content, oversee printed media and get arrange press coverage. You’ll get to see the analytics behind our outreach efforts and gain valuable new skills. Suitable for remote working.
- Mixed / Festival coordination: a varied role for somebody looking for a broader range of experience, covering areas of the above as well as budgets, venues, filmmaker & guest liaison, and all the smaller details of festival management – ideal for those looking to run events with a hands-on approach. Ideal for a local resident or individual who can arrange their own accommodation during the festival week.
Desirable Experience & Interests:
- An interest in film or entertainment industries – particularly non-mainstream film
- A degree, or current student in a film related subject
- Working within a freelance, remote team
- Able to manage their own time and juggle tasks
- Being proactive and thinking creatively
Please send a CV and brief cover letter to Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org